Stew is the ultimate test of patience. Good stew takes time. Gathering ingredients, marinading, endless simmering. Hours of cook time, reducing a mass of meat and vegetable to their essence. The end result is always worth it. A hearty stew can last for weeks, only getting better with age.
This dish is, by nature, versatile. Don’t be picky when shopping for ingredients. Recipes can flex and change depending on the season or availability. Any combination of ingredients, if done well, can become stew. This month we go to the liquor cabinet and grab Black Button’s Apple Pie Moonshine. Using this as a base, we will add a bit of sweetness to an otherwise savory recipe. Stews are an all day affair best when you have a day off or get snowed in.
You Will Need:
8 cloves of garlic minced
3-4 cups of Apple Pie Moonshine
2 lb beef shank
2 lb pork steaks
1 lb chicken breast
1/2 lbs parsnip
1/2 lbs turnip
2 lbs tomatoes
3 celery stalks
1/2 lb green beans
2 TBS Brown Sugar
1 TBS Parsley
1. In a dutch oven marinade the beef and pork in 1 cup of moonshine and 4 cloves of minced garlic. The ideal marinade time for these cuts of meat is 4 to 12 hours. Overnight works best, there is no need to rush. The longer the marination the more tender the meat.
2. Heat a splash of olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Sear the beef and pork, 2 minutes on each side. You are looking for a quick brown sear while still leaving the meat rare. when you finish put the meat back into the dutch oven with the marinade.
3. Add 2 onions quartered, the rest of the garlic, and the jalapeno half, to the pot. Cover the ingredients with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 hours.
4. Dice the chicken and cover with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot and simmer for 1 more hour. Afterward, remove the meat and let cool. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions and jalapeno. Discard the veggies, keep the meat.
5. Cube the meat and return to the dutch oven. Add the rest of the veggies and brown sugar. Add more moonshine to taste and let the stew simmer for 2 more hours, or until all the veggies cook down.
6. After five hours of steady simmer, the stew is complete. You can keep simmering, adding more water and moonshine as the ingredients reduce. This just further blends all the different flavors of the dish. Stews are a day long affair. Going the extra mile does not take too much more effort and makes all the difference. Sit back, and let that stew make your whole apartment smell wonderful. They call it comfort food for a reason. Do not try too hard.